Saturday, June 30, 2012

That's What Friends Are For...

So I was thinking about my friends today. I can't begin to explain what they mean to me. I have family but they have never really been there for me. So as a result they don't know me. They can't understand the struggles I face or the dilemmas of being me.

Yes my family understands to some degree who I am because I believe that we are who we are in part because of they life we have had. It is our choice to live good or bad. To take life and be the change we want to be. For that reason my family knows "me" But they dont really know the "me" I have become.

My friends on the other hand get it. I can call them and talk to them about my life. What I feel and they get it. Because they have a vested interest in me. In who I am and why I am feeling what I feel and why I get upset or where my joy comes from .. which BTW it is only through Jesus I have any joy. 

When my girls were little I tried very hard to instill in them that family was and always will be important. That I would be there for them, that I would always help them when I could. Somewhere along the lines that line has become very blurry. In some cases I feel let down by the lack of family they care about, and the abundance of non family they do.

In my case it was and is different. I never had that deep sense of family. The knowing my mother would be there or my father, for that matter that I could call one of my siblings and talk like we cared about each other. But its not how I raised my children. So when they do foolish things and make each other upset about things they can control it upsets me.

So when I was thinking about this maybe the thing I really want is for them to see each other as something more. As being there for each other. Having a relationship that takes commitment, stamina, understanding, love and knowing they can count on you.

To all my friends ..and my children and grandchildren.. this is for you ..

That's What Friends Are For
And I never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe I love you

And if I should ever go away
Well, then close your eyes and try to feel
The way we do today
And then if you can remember

Keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

Well, you came and opened me
And now there's so much more I see
And so by the way I thank you

Whoa, and then for the times when we're apart
Well, then close your eyes and know
These words are comin' from my heart
And then if you can remember, oh

Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
In good times, in bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
Oh, that's what friends are for

Whoa... oh... oh... keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

Keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, oh, for sure
'Cause I tell you that's what friends are for
For good times and for bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for (That's what friends are for)

On me, for sure
That's what friends are for
Keep smilin', keep shinin'



No comments:

Post a Comment