Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Grade School - Happy Memories at School

I loved school. Seemed that the teachers always cared more about me then what I ever felt at home. This was true for me all my school years. I was more quiet and reserved when I was a child. Even at school. I had a great many teachers who I loved and who always went the extra mile to encourage me. When I think back I remember not just the teachers but also the music and art teachers, and even some of the teacher and lunchroom aides.


 I think I recall going to so many different schools when I was young that we didn't have the same friends. Our friends were blessed they stayed at the same schools but not my family. I don't remember the age but I do clearly remember that I was at one school for a very short time.. maybe a month? Kid's were cruel to my family. Or maybe it was me because I was quiet. I was a different kind of quiet when I was at school then at home. At home I was like a nobody. Never felt loved much, nor really cared about. But at school the teacher's made me feel like I could do anything. Become somebody.

 Some of my earliest memories are of thinking I never wanted children because I wasn't sure I would or could be capable of love. Since I had so few examples to learn from. Affection was not something I remember much of at our house. Not giving or getting. I guess I didn't have a good grasp on what love was. I don't know if I was a good friend or sister growing up. I honestly have so few memories that are not locked inside or hidden that its hard for me to know.

 I told you about the first teacher I remember. I also remember Mrs. Fink. She was either my third or fourth grade teacher. But she loved Anthropology. I remember doing digs. Now I am not sure we really dug.. LOL but I do remember thinking how fun that would be to go out and find things that no one had found before. I kept thinking that maybe I could do that. But of course I don't really like the heat and I am not sure I really wanted it or that I did because my teacher invested in me. She was a good teacher. I learned from her that you cant be afraid to dig in to someone's life and reach out to them and find the things that make them tick. Things that they may not even know exist. When you have an opportunity to "teach" some one it will have an everlasting impact on them. You can make it be good or bad. It's a choice and a chance to change a life.


 So teach your children well..  

A teacher affects eternity: he can never tell where his influence stops. Henry Adams  

The most effective teacher will always be biased, for the chief force in teaching is confidence and enthusiasm. Joyce Cary

 Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition. Jacques Barzun

No comments:

Post a Comment