Monday, February 20, 2012

Who I Am

So I have shared a little bit about some of the influential people in my life. And I will be doing more of that but today I am going to tell you a little about me ..

I was born in January of 1961, in Denver, Colorado. I was the 5th child of my parents. My parents had 2 boys and 5 girls. I am in the middle of the girls but not all of the children. My parents were not from Colorado. But that is where I was raised.

I am just learning more about my family. My father had 3 sisters. All of who are deceased. My father also is gone. My fathers mother Dena was a wonderful Gramma. She loved her children and grandchildren. I don't really know a lot about her as she died while I was still a child. But I loved to go to her house. She would take me to the 5 & 10 and I could spend money she gave me. She colored with me. I still have a color book that she bought me. Her bed was comfortable and she had the most beautiful long white hair, which she always put up in a bun. I remember the first time I ever saw it down.. I was so amazed that is was so long. She was a really good Gramma. She loved me, and I loved her. I was blessed she lived in Denver and we got to see her when we did. My aunts and my father will be another blog sometime.

My mother was one of five children. I am learning more about her every year. But she had an older brother whom I don't think I ever met, two younger sister's and a younger brother. My mother passed away too. My mom's mom was a special lady to me. While no one really cared for my Gramma Earlyne I loved her. She always talked to me and read with me .. she tried to teach me to knit (but that was not happening). LOL. My Gramma lived in California. I never got to go there to see her but she did come to Denver a few times. I can't be certain how many but it was enough for me to remember her and love her. I will be sharing more about her another time too.

So I had a big family growing up. It was not a good family though. It was rough. We didn't get along very often and it was a abusive way to live. My father was an alcoholic. It is the reason I don't drink. My mother had all of those children and we are all around a year apart. It wasn't an easy life for her. But as I am learning it was never an easy life when she was growing up either. My father was in the Navy. While I still don't know a lot about it.. I know that when he was stationed in San Francisco, California that is when he met my mother.

My father held many jobs while I was a child. He also got diabetes at some point. I can't tell you when it was but I don't remember him not giving himself shots. My mother did the best she could with what she had to work with. She didn't work outside of the home for a long time. Now that I am an adult I look back and see when there were things my mother did to make us not see how bad it really was. She was a good mom. From her I learned that when its a hard life you make it better for your children and you don't need to let them know how bad it really is.

I learned to read when I was very young. I loved reading. Reading was an escape for me. My favorite books were the Happy Hollisters. If you don't know about them they were mystery books. I have a few in my collection. Whenever I was sad, or lonely or many other things I would find myself in a book .. in another place in my life. A happy place where I was loved and cared for. That is not something I felt most of my life. I still struggle with that. But you know what? I am loved and cared for by the most important person who ever lived. Jesus Christ. My value is in Him and because of Him.

This is long and I do apologize. To be honest I really want to do this for my children and grandchildren and to show others that you don't have to be a victim of life but you can be a survivor and one who has a purpose to exist.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying the excerpts of your story. Anxious to read more.
    xoxo
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Writing is such a good way to free things from one's heart, things hidden, withdrawn, lurking, needing to be released. While my childhood was nothing like yours, my personality is/was very much the same. I also LOVED the Happy Hollisters, and the Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew!

    Sky

    ReplyDelete