Thursday, February 16, 2012

Some of my best friends.. Rebecca, Tina, and Debbie

I have had a lot of friends, still do. But there are a few who always have had my back so to speak. These friends love me for me. If I was anything else I think we would still be friends. I can not talk to them for awhile and when we get back together its like we were never apart. I am proud to know these ladies. They have been so good to me. They have loved me when I couldn't love myself, they have cared when I didn't want to, they have trusted me when I knew I couldn't trust myself. To these friends I want to say thank you for loving me when I am not always the most lovable. Thank you for being you and keeping a friendship with me.




Rebecca I met you when I was in high school. I was a sophomore and you were a senior. We were in a club together. While I am not sure the details of how we became so close I am sure of the why. You are such a huge inspiration to me and for me. You who had breast cancer and survived. You who helped me to laugh and cry and know I wouldn't fall apart if I did. You who taught me to drive, and to know some one would always care about me. Word's cant ever express the love I have for you.

We have been friends for over 30 years now. I have named one of my daughters after you. You got me through some of the darkest days in my life. When I didn't and couldn't trust anyone .. you showed me trust. You helped me walk through a door that I never, ever wanted opened again. One that held my heart. One that was shut, locked, and forever blocked with cement. But your loving friendship, and heart, and happiness gave me hope that my life was worth something. Even though I sometimes still struggle with that .. you are the one I call when I need a laugh, or a hard cry. One that I can still go to and you will never judge me. One who has this ability to see through what I am saying and what I need to or really want to say.

I think you may know me better then anyone ever has. Because of you.. I have a lasting impression of friendship. For you are a rose that blooms year round. Never dying and always of value and a sweet smell of love. A song that gets stuck in my heart and doesn't need to go away. Thank you for being a friend!

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had. ~Author Unknown





Tina we met when our oldest girls were very young. We have shared many things over the years. Our children and their lives, and now their children (our grandchildren). The Wyoming wind, and weather. Hospital stays, poor days, and gloomy rays. You have helped me when I was so frustrated and felt so alone. The things I have never said thank - you for. I hope my children and grandchildren see you and the friendship we have as everlasting. One that endures in spite of life and the hard things that happen. You have always been willing to be an ear and an arm for helping. You have been the voice of reason for me.

Because of our similar beliefs we have a strong connection. A sister friendship and love between us. I share things with you that I know will never go any farther. We have shared birthdays, dinners, holidays, and lots of breakfasts. I cherish the times we are together and without our children, or grandchildren. Seems that those times are not so often and that's why they are so precious to me. When I doubt you remind me that I have a friend who I can always rely on. That he sticks closer then a brother and will never leave me or disappoint me. That he wont ever walk away from me.. I need that reminder. It gives me hope when I feel hopeless.

How do you teach your children that good friends are there sometimes, but great friends walk beside you and never lose sight of you? This is the kind of friendship we have. Its one that I sometimes take advantage of, but that I never want to forget. Thank you for being a fragrance in this smelly world that we live in. Thank you for being a reminder of the bigger picture.

A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails. ~Donna Roberts




Debbie is one of those kinds of people who always see the up in the upside down. One who truly cares and loves deeply. I never imagined that when we met on ebay that we would be as close as we are. I am forever grateful for your friendship. You helped me take some steps when I was so afraid. I think when you are hurt and feel alone its really hard to go through to the next round. But you helped me do that Deb. You still do.

I remember the first time we met. I was not afraid to drive to meet you in California. I was afraid of what you would think of me. I mean I was nervous. I know we had a back up plan. For that I am not even sure why. I knew when we would meet it would be like we had been friends forever and not like we didn't know each other. Meeting you was so cool, I know that's an outdated word but it really describes the friendship I feel with you. You are so thoughtful. When you made those care packages with M and sent them before we came so the girl's would have something to do on this long trip... that spoke volumes.

Going to Monteray with you and your kids, and my tag-a-longs as such an awesome experience. Seeing the beach and walking in the sand for the first time.. I am so glad its something we shared. I know that life has changed for both of us. And some of it isn't good but the memories we have will live on forever. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of the good times we have shared. When I leave I already start planning what it will be like when I come again. And when I am there I think how sad I will be to leave.

You accepted me as I am Deb. That's a huge thing. One that not many people do for others. You care and I want you to know I care. I can call you or text you at 3 in the morning. You listen. Someday .. we will have other good memories and the pain of all this past stuff will be but a distant memory. Let's continue to build our sand castle. The one that is meant to be. I love you Deb. I hope when people read about you they see that friendship may not start when you are younger but that it can feel that way. Ours does. I know we have talked about if we had been kids in the same town we would be friends I believe that. You are a remarkable, amazing woman and friend. Thank you Deb for all the things you have taught me about friendship. About life.

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things. ~Author Unknown



So to me friendship is something that presents itself in many ways with others. But true friendship will withstand the hourglass of time. It will be there when life happens and when it doesn't. You can have friends that are important in your life for very different reasons. I do. While this doesn't talk about all of my close friends it sums up the different kinds of friends I have. They are all unique and all serve different areas of our lives. If you have a friend that you trust, that cares about you, you need to water that friendship. Step out of your comfort zone and reach out, don't be afraid to also let them reach out to you.



When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. ~Henri Nouwen

1 comment:

  1. Aww Dawn you made me cry...happy tears. Happy that we are such good friends and that we can share anything and everything. Such a wonderful sweet and loving post. Thanks you so much for including me. I love you too friend ♥
    xoxo
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete