Thursday, July 19, 2018

Off the Bed

I had the distinct pleasure of being forced off my bed this morning. No it wasn’t meant it just happened. Sometimes when the grands come to my room I end up closer and closer to the edge until finally I have no space so it’s better for me to get up.

As I sit in the front room I’m thinking about that and my walk with Christ. When I was first saved my bed (my life was so full) of things. Some I put away quickly, some much slower and others are still on that bed with me.

Now in my walk I need to be careful not to clutter it with things or people. It seems small in the beginning you know? Like oh I can just add this and it won’t take from my walk. Or I can do this just a little. Problem is that little pushes Christ off the bed so to speak. It fills your bed and you have no room for Christ to dwell. No room in your heart to open it for him.

Other times we fill our hearts and heads with things that are fluff and we fail to seek Christ to give us the meat of his word. We chose things over Him. Soon enough we have to move because there is so much clutter we can’t see the simplicity of His message and our walk with Him.

When my daughters were younger I owned a big waterbed. I loved that bed. It was comfortable and laying in it I was often lulled to sleep by the movement of the bed. But there were nights I would start alone only to feel a small child in my bed. It started with one.

One child is almost always enough though because they seem to want to sleep up against your back leaving you clinging to the edge of the bed so as not to wake them. If you move you risk the proverbial questions and movement that makes you feel like you have even less room.

Pretty soon child number two would find their way to me bed and well they would eventually end up next to each other and you would still be hanging on hoping to not fall off the bed. Then came daughter number three and four..

By this time my bed resembled a mine field of love. Don’t get me wrong I have such great memories of them in my bed just wanting to be with mom. By the end of the night and as morning would start to come, the light breaking thru the window I would have all six girls in bed with me.

My legs stiff from lack of room, my back needing to be stretched I would first place one leg over the edge of the bed carefully so as not to wake anyone. Slowly pushing myself up to sitting and then getting off my bed. Once I stood I’d look at the bed full of my life.

Now the time has only changed because they are grands and not daughters. But I still have to edge myself off. I look at them, I pray for them and I hope for them. My bed is full. Some good and some not. I must be careful to not let things fill my bed and thoughts. I must pray for the things (people) who often occupy my space.

My life should reflect Christ. Does it? Am I so preoccupied with things that my life is not in living but in death? Is my life so cluttered that I can’t see the simplicity of my walk with Christ? Where am I? Am I searching and praying or am I stuck? Stuck in bed with all my clutter? The Bible says we are set free.

Today as I move to standing and praying I am set free. Free to Love Christ and free to be who he is calling me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment